Literacy at home
- Sing rhymes and songs with your child. There are games in the Listening and Reading Library at school for you to borrow.
- Make booklets for letters of the alphabet and cut out pictures from old catalogues. Remember to focus on the sounds. Bring these books to school to share with the rest of the class.
- Use letter cards to make simple words.
- Practice letter formation using chalks, washing up bottles, sticks in sand or wet paintbrushes on the ground.
- Look at words and letters on everyday products.
- Write shopping lists with your child.
- Use foam letters in the bath.
- Read a bedtime story together.
- Encourage your child to write birthday cards and thank you letters to their family and friends.