Mathematics at home
- Help your child count to and across 100, forwards and backwards beginning with 0 or 1, or from any given number
- Practise reading & writing numbers to 100 in numerals
- Encourage counting in steps of 2, 5 & 10
- Give your child a number. Can they identify one more/one less?
- Use objects around the home to add and subtract
- When confident, encourage them to add & subtract mentally using numbers up to 20
- Encourage your child to know number bonds for numbers up to 10, then 20. E.g How many ways can you make 5, 6, 7, 8 etc.
- Recognise and find half of a shape, object or quantity
- Let your child handle coins. Can they recognise them? Play ‘shops’ using the coins
- When opportunities arise, get your child to measure weights, lengths and capacities